Tuesday, January 5, 2010

I am...

                        Siddarth Bakshi, said the person next to me, while introducing himself at a conference hosted by the University where I worked as an Associate Professor. 'And I am Sneha Menon', I said shaking his hand. He was the Director of a Pharma major, 'The Global Med'. The conferences were a kind of respite for us, to mingle with people, some of them interesting and some of them very serious like the research papers they presented. Well free food throughout the 3-4 days or a week if it was an International Symposium, with nothing to do but to look important by pinning the VIP badges, supervising certain things and best of all breathe tons of fresh campus air instead of the classroom-air circulated by generations old ceiling fans that had yellow blades. The students also looked sharp, well dressed and behaviour at their best, scurrying here and there, ever ready to be of help to any of us, eager to do what was said as compared to the submission of Assignments on time. For once we were all comrades all set to welcome our guests, make them feel at home in the academically charged environment.
                Well, Siddarth was saying something like, '..........Its a Hirani-Abhijit Joshi film...no questions....' and I came out of my reverie.
Me- What did you say Siddarth ?
S- I was talking about the famous '3 idiots'...Its only 5 % of Bhagat's '5 poing someone'.
Me- Well, I disagree. I have read it. I watched the film too but sorry, I didn't find anything new in what I saw. It was as if the book was being picturised with bits of Hindi cinema gimmicks thrown in.
S- Hey ! do you know what goes into writing a script, creating the scenes, directing it etc. ? In fact Hirani had the idea  earlier in his mind. So '5 point..' provided nothing but the typical college campus episodes.
Me- Well, I don't deny the efforts put in by script writer-director etc. but for me who watched the movie, I would say the book does have a major influence on the film. In fact you feel the spirit of '5 point someone'.
S-That's what happens when one reads the book and then sees the movie. See how much you have been influenced by the book.
Me- Excuse me ! I thoroughly enjoyed the book while I read (except for the four letter word used generously throughout the book as if to give an 'Angrezi' appeal, wonder if that is a hallmark of IIT-IIM students ? ). And who but a student in the campus can give the real account of what happens in the psyche of a hosteler in the Technological institutes. Its easy to write a script once the nitty gritty is there...
                    And it went on. I mean the discussion. While Siddarth stuck to logistics, I couldn't bring myself to neglect between the juicy entertainment the book supplied while reading and the same episodes being shown in 3 dimensions. I mean I think I ought to see the movie one more time in order to appreciate the film in terms of direction etc. Chatur and Phunsuk Wangdu are Hirani's wonderful creations. However one feels the essence of '5 pt someone' while watching the film.
                   

No comments:

Post a Comment